Islamic art is a mystical and marvelous selection of a geographical spread and various nations. Iranian art, as a part of Islamic art, has an influential role in the Islamic history and used to be the dominate art in many Islamic territories. The art was raised from believes, traditions, customs and life style of its inhabitants. Also, it always applies a symbolic language which shows philosophical truths governing the civilization of the ancient land of Iran. So expressing and understanding the whole aspects of such art need both historical analysis and philosophical and spiritual studying.
Therefore, along with learning about history and various styles of Islamic art works (exoteric approach), The Course of Philosophy of Islamic Art is an opportunity to get acquainted with cultural, religious and anthropological roots of them (esoteric approach or Hikmah) to understand the noble world of Islamic art.
The main programs are as following: holding theoretical and practical lessons, presenting various essays on Islamic Art, visiting museums and the great masterpieces of Islamic architecture, getting familiar with social and traditional culture of Iran through participating in religious festivals, performing Iranian traditional music and visiting Bazaars, mosques, religious centers etc.
Date: 6th _ 15th
16th _ 26th
2. Program details
Date & Locations
Ideas of Islamic Art
National Museum of Iran
Techniques of Islamic painting
Philosophical bases of Islamic Painting
Reza Abbasi Museum
Museum of Music
Philosophical Bases of Music
Trip to Qom
Philosophical bases of calligraphy
Ritual Practices in Islamic Art
A Visit to the shrine of Fatima Masoumeh and its museum
Trip to Kashan
Kashan Fin Garden Bath
Lunch ( Ameriha Historical House) (13-14:30)
Philosophical Bases of Sacred Architecture
Visiting Sacred Architecture of Isfahan( Jameh Mosque of Isfahan )
History of Persian Carpet
Naqsh-e Jahan Square, Ālī Qāpū Palace, Chehel Sotoun Palace
Comparing Islamic and Christion Art
A friendly discussion on the course findings and out comes
Dinner & Closing
Recommended sources for pre-reading
I. Islamic Studies:
- Shi’ite Islam by Sayed Muhammad Hossein Tabataba’i
- Following Muhammad: Rethinking Islam in the Contemporary World (Islamic Civilization and Muslim Networks) by Carl W. Ernst
II. Islamic art Studies:
- The Wisdom of Islamic Art by Seyyed Razi Mousavi Gilani
- Methodology of Islamic Art by Seyyed Razi Mousavi Gilani
- Islamic Art and Spirituality, Seyyed Hossein Nasr, ISBN: 0887061753, 9780887061752
- Art of Islam, Language and Meaning, Titus Burckhardt, ISBN: 1933316659, 9781933316659
- Graduate of Seminary School
- M.A. of Political Science
- Field of study: Political Jurisprudence
- Position: Course Director / Director of Scientific Cooperation Office and International Affairs of Islamic School of Art
The course is a great way to experience Iranian culture and civilization and by the end of the course, you understand the history of Persian carpet, its characteristics, different styles, philosophical bases and practice carpet weaving in looms. Also, you will learn to see the various issues of Islamic Persian art in Iranian perspective.
The course is a great way to experience Iranian culture and civilization and by the end of the course, it is expected the participants to be able to analyze Islamic art, understand the history of Islamic art, its characteristics, different styles, philosophical bases and the Hekmat it raises from i.e. not only they pay attention to the aesthetic aspects of Islamic art works but also study them profoundly and philosophically.
To participate in the ten-day program, applicants are required to agree to:
1. Make a presentation in all classes and Workshops/discussions organized as part of the program.
2. Submit a final report to ISOA by September 30, 2020, which describes the experiences and findings on the course. The final reports become the property of ISOA to be posted to its website for use by other applicants.
All students receive a graduation certificate upon completion of their program, which is granted by University of Tehran, Islamic School of Art (ISOA) and ECO cultural institute.
- The ten-day program fee (Except Flight and Visa payments) includes: airport transfers, program transport and travel, housing arrangements, meals, lectures and presentations, program pamphlets or handbook, visits to museums, historical sites and art centers.
- All hotel rooms are booked as double or triple. For single room it is needed to pay additional money: 20 euro per night.
- The application for candidacy for Fellowship is in addition to registration for the program and it is needed to write two letters entitled as:
- Requesting fellowship (includes the reasons and amount of fellowship)
- Interests (includes the applicant’s interests and the aims of participating in the course)
- For more information about scholarship opportunities please see:
- 100 euro must be paid as a deposit on booking in order to confirm the applicant’s place on the course. The balance must be paid IN CASH in Iran before the start of the course. Deposits shall not be refunded for cancellations.
- Course fee would be a total of 1200 Euro.
Required Documents (Electronic copies required)
1. Resume: A list of your current academic position, educational achievements, and professional activities. Provide details regarding previous curriculum and/or staff development experiences.
2. A completed form of ISOA Short term course. Click here to download the form.
Applications must include all required documents and be submitted no later than 15 Jun, 2020 to the Islamic School Of Art ( ISOA), the course of Philosophy of Islamic Art. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For further information please contact Sattar Soltanpour (course director / Director of scientific cooperation office and international affairs)